Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Truly Appreciative: 25/25

Dear Mom,

As I have completed each of my letters, I have noticed that some a different shape than others. My letter to President Obama didn’t end up saying at all what I thought it would while my letter to Leslie Acton said everything I hoped. With your letter being the last of my 25, I only hope I can find the words that carry the weight of son showing his appreciation for his mother’s love.

Thank you always being there for me. Thank you for caring for me through my struggles with nerves and anxiety, a minor issue looking back on my life, but one that only needed you around to be taken care of. Thank you for countless meals, which I took for granted until I moved away and had to prepare them myself. And thank you for supporting me through almost all of my decisions; without that support I would be nothing.

And most importantly, thank you for showing me how to be a hard-working, compassionate, caring Christian. Without your endless work in the church, that helped me find that church was my home away from home, I might not have the passion for youth work that I possess today.

As much as I am like Dad, I am also very much like you. I laugh at myself when I’m panicking to clean the apartment before friends are coming over or when I get frustrated with the kitchen not being clean.

Thank you, countless times, for being the best mom I could ever imagine. I only hope I am able to show my own children, my church, and my friends the kindness, generosity, hope, and faith that you have shown me.

Thank you, Mom.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles
____________________
This was the last of my twenty-five letters. It was also the hardest to write.
It's funny, when I started this project I knew exactly what my motivations were. But upon completion, I'm not sure what they were at all. It might not be the proper response, but I almost cringe as various thank yous and signs of returned-appreciation (including an autographed copy of John Mayer's Battle Studies) have come my way. However rude it may be to react that way, I'm grateful that I know that I didn't do this project to recieve any gratitude.
As I look out the window of my office, I am unable to say what comes next for me. With the completion of 'Truly Appreciative' behind me, I'm going to continue living in Nashville, working where I work, loving the church I attend and serve, and thanking the Lord for every blessing in my life.
Thank you.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I am sorry that your project has come to an end--but it was super fulfilling! I am sure those letters were greatly appreciated in the spirit in which they were written--truly gratitude.

Best of luck to you, Brian! Hope you are back on here sometime!

Sara