Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Truly Appreciative: 24/25

Dear Dad,

Until now, these letters have been fairly “easy” to write. Most of the persons or groups on my list impacted my life in a specific way; one event or moment. But trying to capture the influence of a father on a son in one letter is practically impossible.

You have been the single biggest influence in my life. 70% of me is you (I’ve approximated). Until a few years ago, that bothered me. It didn’t bother me because I’m not proud of you or because there are inherited qualities I don’t appreciate, it bothered me because every boy wants to be their own man.

I have greatly enjoyed our evolving relationship in the past five or six years. Since I realized what good music sounds like, since I realized what an absolute joy it is working in the church, and since I moved to Nashville, our times spent together have been very special.

I’m not sure an evening could have been more perfect than the Roger Daltrey and Eric Clapton concert here. That memory is only surpassed by the times spent in the backyard playing catch or shooting hoops.

Thank you for everything you have done for me, my friends, my faith, and the rest of our family. It might still shock me when I do something exactly the way you would, but there is no one I would rather be. I only hope I am able to show a portion of the kindness, compassion, humor, and love you have shown me.

Thank you, Dad.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles

No comments: