Monday, February 14, 2011

Truly Appreciative: 19/25

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Adenhart,

Aside from my family and my faith, baseball is my favorite thing about my life. I love the game and have learned many life lessons throughout my lifetime as Chicago Cubs fan.

I first heard of your son, Nick, just weeks before his tragic death. I normally don’t take interest in young pitchers on teams three thousand miles away, but Nick caught my eye.

And then he was gone.

I know very little about your son other than he was a baseball player, but that’s all the connection I need. The game I love was the game he loved. When I heard he had died, I was frozen. A person shouldn’t die that young, especially one with such talent and love for baseball. That’s selfish, but it’s true.

Through your son’s death, I learned to appreciate life more. I learned to appreciate the game more. I learned that my family is what matters most. Thank you for that.

I can’t imagine what you still must feel today with the loss of a son, as I don’t have any children, but know that your son’s life and death has helped me in my own life.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles

"Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen,
give them a larger physical stoicism, tend to relieve us
from being a nervous, dyspeptic set,
repair these losses, and be a blessing to us."
-Walt Whitman
_______________________
Mr. and Mrs. Adenhart are the parents of the late Nick Adenhart, a pitcher with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim until his death in April of 2009. A future star, he was only 22 when he was killed by a drunk driver after the finest outing of his career.

No comments: