Friday, February 4, 2011

Truly Appreciative 15/25

Dear Keith,

I have attended many, many church events over my life. Some have been better than others, but they are all memorable. The time we spent together on the planning team at Montreat in 2004 was one of the most memorable for me.

I had never been to Montreat, so I was learning as the week went on, all while trying to act like I knew what I was doing. I had also never been in a true leadership role at such a large event before, so I was intimidated, but up for the challenge. With your guidance, I was able to find my place on our team and learn so much about myself.

I remember watching you prepare each morning and night, so jovial but also very focused. I remember how tired you seemed after each keynote. And I remember being proud that, in some small way, I had helped get your message out. Thank you for your words, your guidance, your respect, and your faith that week, and each week after.

The following summer, I started working with the youth group at my church in Indiana and have not stopped since. I have been in Nashville for three and a half years and my work with the youth at my church is the glue that keeps me in this city. Without our week at Montreat and without you there to show me how to lead, I’m not sure I would have found it within myself to be the leader I am able to be today. Thank you for your inspiration.

I hope this letter finds you and your family well. As I said, I have been in Nashville for more than three years now. I’m working as a Business Manager at The United Methodist Publishing House (Cokesbury) and spend many hours each week dedicated to the youth at Second Presbyterian. I also love attending Vanderbilt basketball games and playing ultimate frisbee and softball.

I appreciate all you have done for me, my faith, and the Presbyterian Church. You are a true disciple.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles


___________________________

Keith Harris is a Presbyterian minister currently serving in Urbana, Illinois. He is famous in the Presbyterian church for his energizing leading abilities (YouTube energizers). He is famous to me for being an amazing man.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Which church does he serve? I have some friends that are Pres. in Urbana, but not sure if they are at the same church.

Your letters are so well-written! If a letter like this was written to me, I would be honored. You are amazing for doing this!

Sara

bMoles said...

He is at McKinley Pres. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. Who are you? Ha.

Sara said...

I am pretty sure my friend and her family go to church @ McKinley. Small world! :)

You have done a great job and I am sure all will appreciate the time and effort it has taken to express yourself!! Congrats!

Next time Mayer is around, NO EXCUSES--I will buy you a beer at the concert! ;)