Friday, February 4, 2011

Truly Appreciative 16/25

Dear Bruce,

I have been a Presbyterian my whole life. I was born into Central Presbyterian Church in Terre Haute, Indiana, where I attended and served for more than 24 years, and now attend and serve Second Presbyterian in Nashville, Tennessee. Being Presbyterian is part of who I am.

Throughout the course of this Presbyterian life, I have attended events at the local, Presbytery, Synod, and national levels. With each event came new understandings. With each new understanding came a new step in my faith journey.

Along the way, there have been many, many people who have helped me along the way, both knowingly and unknowingly. You are one of those people and I am grateful for that.

The presence you brought to the position of Moderator of the General Assembly had a striking effect on my journey. Your willingness to serve the world, to the best of your abilities, in the name of Jesus is amazing. I believe your understanding and acceptance that the youth are the current church, and not the future as it is too often said, helped drive mine and the younger generation of Presbyterians to cry out for a world built on peace, love, and forgiveness.

The PCUSA has presented me with opportunities that have helped form my morals, my passions, and my faith. Your leadership within the church has played a part in all of those things. Thank you for that.

I hope this letter finds you and your family well. I led a group to the Presbyterian Youth Triennium this past summer and enjoyed hearing your sermon there. I look forward to hearing your message again, either in person, on Twitter, or on Facebook. Thank you, again, for your leadership.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles


________________________
Bruce Reyes-Chow is the former Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA). He currently serves as the pastor at a church in San Francisco. He transformed the position of Moderator into one that identified the current state of the church, understood the youth and young adult movement, and revolutionized the social media world for persons of faith (i.e. brought it to the Presbyterian masses).

No comments: