Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Truly Appreciative 7/25

Dear Mr. McLaren,

You might not remember or know this story, but I certainly do. At some point in our high school or college years, the gang of me, Michael, Jeff, and Cathy were together doing whatever it was that we did. Cathy mentioned that you had been talking about me over dinner the night before. At first, this struck me as odd that someone was talking about me, but then I realized that is probably part of the normal routine for a family around the dinner table, especially since my own family did it as well. It wasn’t the fact that you were talking about me that stayed with me, it’s what you said.

You said how capable I was, how I could do anything because I’m so capable. I can’t thank you enough for how much those words have meant to me over the years, even though you probably never knew they reached my ears.

There is something truly amazing about someone you have known and respected your entire life speaking of you in such a high regard, especially considering how young I was at the time. Your words have helped me in everything I’ve done since I’ve heard them. They helped me get through my struggles as a salesman during my first year in Nashville and they have certainly helped me in my current position, especially when I’m swimming in never-ending spreadsheets.

The times they serve me best, though, are when I’m working with the youth at church. There are times when I don’t think I’ll be able to handle the situation, during a friend’s death or a parent’s sickness, but, somehow, I always find my way through. Thank you for giving me a true sense of confidence in my own abilities; I would be no where without that confidence.

I hope this letter finds you and everyone in your growing family well. Thank you again for all the help you have provided me throughout my entire life. I only hope I am able to show my church family a portion of the compassion, kindness, faith, and respect I have been shown by my church family. Thank you and God bless.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles


__________________
I don't remember a time when I did not know Mr. McLaren. He attended my home church and I have known him and his family my whole life. He was also my professor in college, so our relationship has many dimensions. He has always supported me and my family, so I am forever thankful for his guidance and friendship.

No comments: