Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Truly Appreciative 5/25

Dear Mrs. Robinson,

One of my favorite days of the year is Jackie Robinson day. Needless to say, I think your husband would be honored to see the appreciation shown by the fans, players, executives, and everyone on that day, and every day. I am too young to have seen Mr. Robinson play, but the sight of every team, lined up each base line, in their crisp uniforms with a 42 on the back gives me chills each and every year.

One of my favorite moments of that day is being able to hear you share stories from your life. Baseball is forever grateful for the strength you provided Jackie with during the hardest of years. The way you carried yourself then and the way you do now, with grace, beauty, and humbleness, is striking.

I admire Jackie more than almost any man or woman that I have ever known of. My heroes are the people that inspire me and show me, through their words and actions, that I can make a difference. Jackie Robinson, along with John Wooden, President Barack Obama, my father, and my grandfather, are my heroes. Each of these men walked a different path through their lives on this earth, but they all did it with the compassion and strength that I only hope to achieve.

At first glance, I don’t think many would think that Mr. Robinson and I would have much in common, but I think we do. I see my passion to make the world a better place in him, I see my quiet strength in him, and most certainly I see my passion for the game of baseball in him. Jackie is one of my true heroes and I am ever grateful for all he has done for the game of baseball, this country, this world, and me. Thank you, both for that.

I am a baseball fan at heart. My passion for the game and my Chicago Cubs runs deep within me. I have many people to thank for teaching me about the game, but none have done more for the game itself than Jackie. I wish I could thank him personally, but I know my message will be appreciated by none other more than you. My many, many thanks.

Truly appreciative,



Brian J. Moles


__________________________

Rachel Robinson is the widow of Jackie Robinson. As I said in my letter, Jackie is one of my heros. I wear number 42 in my slow-pitch softball league to somehow honor Jackie Robinson. I feel an overwhelming sense of pride when someone asks me why I have number 42 and I get to explain why.

No comments: