Friday, January 14, 2011

Truly Appreciative - 3/25

Dear Leslie,

This letter is part of a series of letters I’m writing to individuals, groups, and organizations that have had a positive effect on the person I am today. I’m writing one letter each day for 25 days and each note will be posted to my blog at http://bmoles.blogspot.com.

Of the thousands of days we live on this Earth, there are a very few that we truly remember and appreciate. I spent three of those days with you and I am forever thankful for them. You helped show me what true friendship is. Thank you for that.

I will forever remember the Thursday afternoon when my phone rang. I was off work and had just been to the library. You called to ask me to do something for you that no one had ever asked me before; you asked if I could pick you up and take you to the doctor. I wasn’t sure what was going on, and honestly, I was hesitant to say yes, but I couldn’t say no.

That first Thursday turned into the next and then the next. We only spent three days together, but they meant the world. I will always respect your ability to ask for help in a time of need and I am forever honored that it was me you reached to. That is friendship.

I wish your couple months in Nashville had gone differently, but I’m glad you did what was best for you. If you ever need anything, you know who you can call. Thank you, many times over, for your display of friendship towards me; I am forever grateful.

I hope this finds you well. I look forward to many more Thursdays.

Truly appreciative,

Brian J. Moles

_______________________

Leslie lived in Nashville for one year during 2007 and 2008. During her time here, she was part of the Presbyterian Church (USA) Young Adult Volunteer program. She lived in a very small house, with one other volunteer, and worked for a non-profit agency helping to better the lives of Hispanic immigrants. She is now in graduate school at Duke University.

No comments: