Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm not together, but I'm getting there...

As I'm sure many of you have heard by now, John Mayer is an idiot.

In an interview with Playboy (
full read here) that released on Tuesday, Mr. Mayer couldn't control himself. He called his penis a "white supremacist," talked about his sexual relationship with Jessica Simpson in a very un-gentlemanly manner, and might have used the n-word a couple times.

Needless to say, all three of these things caused a significant backlash.

I've invested the last nine years of my life into John Mayer and his music. I'm regularly post on a message dedicated to the man and his music, I talk daily to fellow Mayer fans through various social media outlets, and there is rarely a day I go without listening to his music. The majority of the past nine years as a fan have been great. His music is spectacular and I fully relate to his uncontrollable need to over-think everything.

On the message board, many of the poster's are reacting by lashing out against him for what he said. I can understand their frustrations because he shouldn't have said what he did, but I'm more frustrated with the person he's allowed himself to become.

Someone spoke up saying how many people this interview hurt. Here was my response:

"I don't think he's hurt people in a sense of true hurt. It's more a sense of surprise, disbelief, and let down. I've been a fan for nine years now and this is the person he always told us he'd never be. That's what "hurts" me. The John Mayer I learned to love was kind and clever and passionate about music; he was so self-aware that he knew he wasn't cool enough to sit at the big kids table yet; he knew he had a role to play, but wasn't quite sure of that role. The John Mayer that's been in the media the last couple years is not that guy. He's arrogant, brash, and seems like he takes for granted what he has. I understand that he has become infinitely more popular in recent years, but it wasn't supposed to affect him like this. I'm probably longing for the days when you knew a John Mayer interview was going to make you laugh and think about something from a perspective you'd never seen before. Fame has taken that sense of insecurity and replaced it with a sense of self-infatuation. He used to love out-thinking the interviewer, now he gets off on out-clevering them, except he left his cleverness in 2006."

(I'm not sure I need quotes when they are my own words, but Blogger is a pain and wouldn't cooperate with me indenting)

I hate that I care so much about the situation, but I do. John Mayer's music opened my eyes to a new world. I would never have gone to see B.B. King and Buddy Guy with my dad on Monday night if it weren't for John Mayer. I wouldn't play the guitar myself if it weren't for John Mayer. I wouldn't have several of my friends in my life without John Mayer.

At his concert Tuesday here in Nashville, he apologized for what he had said. 99% of the audience didn't know what he was talking about, but for those who did, it was much needed. I was glad I was there to see it live. (There are several video's of it online if you'd like to see it.) I hope he's sincere and truly changes his ways. The man has amazing music ability and is truly risking his life with the choices he's making lately (not just the interview). As a fan who cares, I really hope he turns things around.

It's been a long time since 22...

No comments: