Monday, October 13, 2008

Won't you be my neighbor?

I was called a grown-up tonight. I'm not sure it fits.

I listened to Room For Squares tonight for the first time in several months. I needed it. "3x5" and "Great Indoors" hit a particular note. It's amazing how lasting the message in a song can be. I feel like it was just last week I was listening to it when it was new to me feeling the same things I felt tonight. I'm thankful for the world this album opened my eyes up to. If it weren't for this album, I might not know who many of my now favorite artists are. If it weren't for this album, I might still be listening to Limp Bizkit and Korn (a great band, not my cup of tea anymore). If it weren't for this album, I might not have been motivated to finally learn how to play the guitar (i'll get good one day...maybe).

The Cubs weren't even in the playoffs this year. That's my absolute feeling on the subject. I'm completely numb to anything that is Cubs baseball right now. I put up a slight fight to anyone who tries to get on me about it, but I don't even feel like fighting for them right now. After 100 years without a World Series title, 25 of which I've been alive for and 21 of which I have been a Cubs fan, I didn't think Cubs-nation would ever doubt this team as much as I feel we are right now. If the term die-hard wasn't coined describing the Cubs I don't know where it comes from.

I watched Evan Almighty for the first time this past week. It was pretty good overall, but lacked the cleverness and originality that Bruce Almighty had. The scene where Evan's wife is talking to God stood out to me. Morgan Freeman is playing the role of God and he tells Evan's wife about how he doesn't think God gives people things like patience or courage, but instead he provides the opportunity to be patient or the opportunity to courageous. I don't know what the bible says about this particular point, but I like it. This is something I need to be more proactive with, taking opportunties that are presented to me instead of waiting for them to appear to me crystal clear.

I'm getting the job I'm waiting to hear back from. If I don't I guess I'm just gonna have to win the lottery cause it's really the only thing left.

Either that or you guys support me. Just send me your credit card numbers and I'll be fine.

Much obliged,
B

1 comment:

Ally said...

I will be your blog neighbor.

I hear you about not waiting until things are crystal clear. I often want God to answer my prayers in the way that fits in my little box. Whereas when I stop and think about it I know He's a lot bigger than that and is probably wanting me to step out in faith, realizing that He can use and redeem anything--even my mistakes.